[TowerTalk] roof tripod

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] roof tripod
From: froberts@pe.net (Fred Roberts)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:19:15 -0700
--------------3B74053C2CCFB54F4BC5F011

Bob Wanderer wrote: -snip-

> Looks like I'll probably wind up roof-mounting a vertical antenna
> to get my station back on the air.
>         What would be the best tripod height to handle a ~25-29 foot
> vertical
> in the Seattle, Wash. area considering, too, ease of installation (of
> both the
> tripod and the antenna onto the tripod). Without expertiese or
> experience,
> I'm thinking a 3-footer would do the job nicely. The antenna will be
> either
> a GAP Titan, Cushcraft AP8A, Hy-Gain DX-88, or Butternut HV9 (?). I
> own the first, but it was a bear to erect and "de-erect" on the
> ground; I can
> imagine what it  will be like on the roof.

Bob-

These comments only address the issue of easy erection of the vertical
on the tripod ...

I would suggest you mount a short mast in the 3-foot tripod.  The short
mast to have two 1/4" or 3/8" holes drilled in it about 3-feet apart.
Mount the antenna on another short mast ... this mast to have another
pair of matching holes.

Given this arrangement, put a bolt through the "upper" holes in the mast
pair.  Then, the only problem is to swing the antenna into a vertical
position ... if push comes to shove insert a length of pipe in the lower
mast to give you more leverage.  When the antenna is vertical, slip in
the second bolt.

I used this to install an R7 on a 22-foot mast on my RV.  It worked like
a charm ... and it sure beats running around the roof trying to balance
a 25 (or so) foot vertical.  :-)

73-
Fred Roberts, W6TKV
Riverside, CA

--------------3B74053C2CCFB54F4BC5F011

<HTML>
<I>Bob Wanderer wrote: -snip-</I>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><I>Looks like I'll probably wind up roof-mounting
a vertical antenna</I>
<BR><I>to get my station back on the air.</I>
<BR><I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What would be the best
tripod height to handle a ~25-29 foot vertical</I>
<BR><I>in the Seattle, Wash. area considering, too, ease of installation
(of both the</I>
<BR><I>tripod and the antenna onto the tripod). Without expertiese or
experience,</I>
<BR><I>I'm thinking a 3-footer would do the job nicely. The antenna will
be either</I>
<BR><I>a GAP Titan, Cushcraft AP8A, Hy-Gain DX-88, or Butternut HV9 (?).
I</I>
<BR><I>own the first, but it was a bear to erect and "de-erect" on the
ground; I can</I>
<BR><I>imagine what it&nbsp; will be like on the roof.</I></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob-

<P>These comments only address the issue of easy erection of the vertical
on the tripod ...

<P>I would suggest you mount a short mast in the 3-foot tripod.&nbsp; The
short mast to have two 1/4" or 3/8" holes drilled in it about 3-feet
apart.&nbsp;
Mount the antenna on another short mast ... this mast to have another pair
of matching holes.

<P>Given this arrangement, put a bolt through the "upper" holes in the
mast pair.&nbsp; Then, the only problem is to swing the antenna into a
vertical position ... if push comes to shove insert a length of pipe in
the lower mast to give you more leverage.&nbsp; When the antenna is vertical,
slip in the second bolt.

<P>I used this to install an R7 on a 22-foot mast on my RV.&nbsp; It worked
like a charm ... and it sure beats running around the roof trying to balance
a 25 (or so) foot vertical.&nbsp; :-)

<P>73-
<BR>Fred Roberts, W6TKV
<BR>Riverside, CA</HTML>