[TowerTalk] 4 SQUARE ORIENTATION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 SQUARE ORIENTATION
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:16:14 -0500
Raymond Dave-CSUS04 wrote:

> My own experience with my 80 meter 4 square would indicate that the
> major lobes in the forward direction on the 4 square are really pretty
> broad.  In reality, there does not seem to be much of a "null" in
> between major lobes in the forward direction.
>
> Performance in between two of the favored directions (like due west on a
> 4 square that favors NW/NE/SE/SW) does not seem to suffer.  I sure have
> no problems here in the midwest working VK or Africa on 80 mtrs.
> However, it's not unusual to have the morning paths looking west
> frequently favor the SW antenna, sometimes even as far north as JA, I
> suspect due to the grayline effect.
>
> 73. . . Dave
> W0FLS
>
> > ----------

My nulls are not too sharp here.  When working Africa I can sometimes
hear best
of my NE angle.  However I also can hear some Africans on my SE at the
same
strength, telling me that he is in my null.  I can also detect a
southern
null (who wants to work South America anyway??)  I have not had any
problems
breaking any pile ups no matter where the dx was located.  My point: if
your
doing a new install, the 15 deg rotation may be of some slight advantage
but
for an existing one like mine, forget moving it.  I still have doubts
that I
would ever see much difference for most locations.

                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment
                          Toys for "Real" CW Men