Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - can connectors be recycled?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - can connectors be recycled?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 14:24:24 -0700
Exactly right, Steven! And that's how I install them. Some PTFE-insulated and jacketed Commscope coax mfd for use in data centers, and that's equivalent to a very good RG8, has diameters smaller than RG8. To properly mount connectors on it, I had to build up the o.d. with a good heat shrink so that connectors could screw onto it and hold well..

Wes -- how do you deal with this? Is the propane torch hot enough to melt the outer jacket? Residue?

73, Jim K9YC

On 7/14/2024 1:30 PM, Steven Katz wrote:
My take on this is:   This is difficult to accomplish successfully IF
the connectors were originally properly installed.

That’s because what holds the cable into the connector isn't solder:
Soldering makes the electrical bonds; the mechanical bond is
accomplished when the connector is tightly threaded onto the cable
jacket, so unless you can unthread it (possibly by melting the cable
jacket material until it flows), after removing all the solder, the
cable will still be in the connector.