[TowerTalk] Nonconductive guys/fixed side mount

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Nonconductive guys/fixed side mount
From: mcduffie@scottsbluff.net (Gary McDuffie, Sr.)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:57:55 -0700
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:01:28 +0000, Pete Smith wrote:

> I plan, initially at least, to fix the lower antenna on
> Europe, it seems as if just about any 2" steel tubing will do for a mount,
> simply rotating the boom-to-mast clamp on the C-3 to attach to a horizontal
> tube.

Two questions come to mind.  With the boom-to-mast clamp rotated 90
degrees from the norm, will it still have enough clamping grip to keep
the boom from tilting up and down (as opposed to sideways twist in the
normal config)?  Second, I've never seen any info on any of the amateur
towers regarding side mounting.  When you mount at other than the top,
you introduce other stresses.  With Rohn 25, are you getting anywhere
near design limits?  I doubt that it was designed to have anything of
size mounted other than at the top.  Maybe I just haven't noticed it in
the spec.

I'd go with Philly at all levels if at all possible.  Some antennas
really don't like anything interfering with the pattern.

Gary - AGØN
mcduffie@scottsbluff.net

Please folks, properly trim your posts to include only that which is
necessary to understand the context.  Some posters here are really
sloppy about that.