[TowerTalk] Subjective Analysis... was 15 & 40 interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Subjective Analysis... was 15 & 40 interaction
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:40:19 GMT
And even if F/B were nil at K6LL on 15m, what's behind him on 15
meters in almost any of his high volume directions? Why would he care?
On the other hand, F/B in W1-land while pointed at Europe might be
deemed critical.

Any attempt to reduce this question to a five line table that fits on
a 3M sticky pad is doomed. Brain exercise and risk-taking is
mandatory.

73, y'all.

Guy.

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:35:34 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 k6ll@juno.com wrote:
>
>> If you want some hard facts, look at my contest scores for the last
>> 12 years. KT-34XA at 49', 40-2CD six feet above that, booms
>> aligned. If you want to hear my 15 meter signal, drop me an email.
>> We can go on 15 meter SSB, where the XA, according to some experiments,
>> has a negative front-to-back ratio. It will blow your ears off, when
>> pointed at you. The f/b is about 12dB. I don't have any experience with
>> the Force 12 stuff.
>
>Hard facts?  Huh?
>
>I would not be too quick to take "check out my signal" or "check out these
>results" as a basis for making your decision.  It is my experience that
>just about any antenna from Yuma Arizona is loud at my house, and K6LL is
>one of the best operators in the country... he would have impressive
>results with an R5 vertical.
>
>The answer to your question is to buy an antenna modelling software and
>model it yourself.  You will probably find out that the pattern of the
>antenna is most negatively affected by the other antenna.  Then it becomes
>a choice of trade-offs.  But at least you will KNOW what's going on and
>not making a "good" guess or using someone else's good guess.
>
>If I were you I would ignore any suggestion from anyone that's basis is
>stated as "I was the first one through to XYZ", "Check out my contest
>results", or "Listen to my signal some time".  This type of information
>only makes the person writing it feel better about a mistake he has
>probably made.   And I don't mean to pick on Dave... I've seen these types
>of posts here over and over again.  The are meaningless.
>

>73
>
>Bill Fisher, W4AN

73, Guy
--. .-..