Re: [TowerTalk] cutting galvanized tower legs - thanks

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cutting galvanized tower legs - thanks
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for all the input.  I think the reciprocating saw sounds good to me...
seems like the worst that can happen is a cut on a finger... rather then a
finger cut off ... shard in the eye... etc, etc.   I've got a brother-in-law
who has a saw although I might use it as an excuse to buy a new tool.

btw - not real sure why the tower folded.  It had a kt34a mounted about 2'
above the peak.  The tower was pretty old... I bought it a couple years ago and
I'm sure it was at least 15 years old then.  And, this was a freakish storm for
around here.  The paper was talking 60 to 70mph but most people thought it was
more then that.  It really seemed like there was kind of a micro-burst of wind
that hit some areas that had to be way more then 70mph.  I say that cuz there
were little patches that seem to get blasted.... groups of a dozen trees down
in the middle of a whole bunch of other trees that had no problems.  Here, as
soon as the initial blast hit I suspected I might have tower trouble... just
tooo much wind to think it could make it.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Hot Springs, SD
http://marina.fortunecity.com/sanpedro/351