[TowerTalk] Mast wind loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k6xn@comcast.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast wind loading
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:33:55 EST
In a message dated 3/25/2006 7:16:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
If for example the mast section extending above the Rohn 25G tower to be
used is  2 inches in  diameter and 10 feet long what is the value we should
use for calculating the additional wind load "area" due to the 10 foot mast?
Is it simply 2 times 10 times 12 for 240 square inches for 1.6 additional
square feet or ???  Moving forward would the total effective wind load for
the ensemble to be used in checking the Rohn 25G "Allowable Antenna Area"
then be the wind load for the antennas plus the wind load for the mast?

This is probably obvious to everyone but I wanted to double check before I
put it up an additional tower.  :-).
You can apply the reduced drag factor for round surface of 2/3 in your
calculations.  Don't forget the pipe below the top adds area as well.

Regards,
Norm W4QN