[TowerTalk] RF choke across the feedpoint of a 50 ohm direct feed OWA DE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF choke across the feedpoint of a 50 ohm direct feed OWA DE.
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 06:56:05 -0700
Can  a small  say  45 uh  choke  be placed across the  feed point of a  direct
fed OWA  yagi ??
The idea here was to sorta  dc  grnd both sides of the  DE.   The coax  will be
routed back to
a 1 in 6 out  remote  switch box  mounted on the mast.    IE: the  braid side
will be ultimately
grnded at the mast.   [ braid  will also be  grnded to base of tower as well]

Both sides  of the  DE  are insulated from each other..... AND the boom.
This is  for a F-12    N1715XL  yagi.   It's an oddball feed.. with a 17M
direct DE... and a 15m  parasitic DE,  straddling each side of the 17m de.

Coax  goes to  17M DE.. [ via bead balun]

I have no experience with  direct feed yagis.   I didn't like the idea of a non
dc grnded  center conductor on the the coax, nor a non dc grnded  1/2
of the DE.     At least with a hairpin,  both sides are bonded.

Then again, with the  insulator's F-12 uses, both halves of the DE
are not bonded to the boom anyway.

Am I wasting my time ?

later.......... Jim   VE7RF