[TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: mihry@argontech.net (Michael D. Ihry)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 06:10:26 -0500
The #1 Iron is a bit facetious, but there's an element of
truth in it. The purpose of the lightning rod (or Franklin
terminal) is to be the highest point in the area. When the
lightning starts heading down (it is called the step leader
and it jumps in ~150' increments), as it approaches, streamers
start heading upwards to meet the step leader. The purpose of
the rod is to provide the streamer most likely to find favor with
the step leader and, when they meet, create the return stroke
which is the pulsed ionized white streak we call lightning. The
concept is for you, rather than Mother Nature, to control where
the strike occurs. The other important part of lightning protection
is to have a low inductance ground so the energy will flow to the
earth and be absorbed rather than finding this path through your
brand new Yaesu FT-1000D! BTW, your Ufer should *not* be the
only grounding system but should be connected to a good ground
system as an adjunct.

Any good surge suppression system should dump the energy into
the ground system for dispersal into the earth. Because of the fast
rise times associated with lightning (on the order of a few
microseconds),
frequencies up into the GHz range are generated, although the bulk
of the damage is done by the high energy DC or near DC components.
Skin effect limits the capacity of the grounding wiring, so Poly has
always recommend wide copper strap over even 4/0 wire (forget the
ubiquitous #6; it'll work for the power company's 60 Hz, but not for the

frequencies generated by lightning). You want to provide a low
inductance
path so that all of the lightning energy goes into the earth with
minimum
impedance. So whether you choose MOVs or SADs, make sure you create
a good ground system for the shunted energy to go or it will still find
a way to
get to your new 36" TV with the surround sound feature! At best, you
will
shorten the lifespan of your protective device.

For additional info, contact Poly and purchase their book "The 'Grounds'

For Lightning and EMP Protection." If you get Tricia, tell her I said
"hello."

73
Bob Wanderer AA0CY