[TowerTalk] TicRing vs. Side Mount

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TicRing vs. Side Mount
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:35:45 EST
In a message dated 3/13/01 8:00:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rmidgett@bellsouth.net writes:

> That depends (doesn't most things?) on the rotor investment. For instance,
>  a Ham IV can be had at a hamfest for <$300 with controller, or from Rotor
>  Doctor for $375.00. IDC Technology offers the Sidewinder for Rohn 25G at
>  $250.00, an investment of $550 - $575, which is much less than a new TIC &
>  its bag of headaches. If 360 degree rotation isn't absolutely required,
the
>  side mount wins my vote.

    I agree. By the time you factor in the time involved to install either of
them (the sidemount is simple, the TIC takes more time and screwing around)
and the apparent greater reliability of the Ham IV, I'd go for the sidemount
anyday. Providing of course that the antenna is capable of turning around the
tower, which is the problem which makes people purchase the TIC in the first
place. They both have their place.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech