Re: [TowerTalk] Steam Pipe for Masting

To: aa6dx@arrl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steam Pipe for Masting
From: "KA9OFM John Garrett" <ka9ofm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:16:00 -0500
Steam pipe has lots of good uses but I don't think you will find it any good
for your plans. The weight of the stuff is about one and a half times the
weight of a normal pipe the same size. You said 2 1/2" at about 17 feet and
if that is normal schedule 40 carbon steel pipe which is normal for steam
pipe it has a wall of .237 and weighs in at 6.008 lbs per foot making your
17 foot pipe 102.136 lbs

BUT at $25 each I think I would pick it up for other projects.

Oh, as far as the rust goes they have some good rust neutralizer stuff these
days that you paint on and it turns the rust to a black kind of stuff that
you can paint over. I used the stuff on the tongue of my 31 ft airstream
camper 2 years back and haven't seen a rusty spot on it yet.

73,
John, KA9OFM