Re: [TowerTalk] Post install water on tower base

To: rfcdma@spinn.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Post install water on tower base
From: "KA9OFM John Garrett" <ka9ofm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:42:44 -0500
Dave,

I have used a couple of materials on cracked bases, but never had the
problem of not finishing the job so to speak. (Not an Insult)

One material I used was called vinyl cement, another was called plastic
coat. BUT these days I use a product made by Evercoat called Tiger Hair. It
is a fiberglass that has fiberglass hairs in it and is used as a filler for
waterproofing. Depending on the area you need to cover as it can be costly
at around $35 a gallon but you get a lot of coverage out of a gallon, and
depending on how thick you need to pour it - this stuff is great. I mix in a
color (Your Choice) to help avert any UV damage even though it is said that
it is not needed, but then again most people paint over this stuff as they
use it for filler in auto repair.

When I make such repairs I usually cap over the entire slab and its sides
down a few inches so it has a good cover. After you mix the hardener in with
this stuff you have around 30 minutes of time to get it in position as you
want it. In the beginning it will seem runny but as it nears its ending time
it will start firming up. You'll feel it as it is happening. Try not to do
this in direct sunlight as it will speed the hardening time. I have had the
stuff set up in about 12 minutes in sunlight and prefer the slower time as
you can work it that way.

Another neat thing is that after you cap with this stuff water will bead up
on it so it runs off nicely.

Good luck and I hope you have success with whatever product you decide to
use.

John, KA9OFM