Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing LDF4

To: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing LDF4
From: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:28:33 -0400
If money is no object, connectors or in-line splices are a good
solution. Above HF, perhaps the only "good" solution. In my case, I had
a bunch of 50-60 foot lengths of 1/4" superflex, and I needed to reach a
160 meter vertical 250 feet away. I think 4 bux of brass tubing allowed
me to splice 4 or 5 lengths of the 1/4" together. I put proper
connectors on the two ends, and I ran it for 3 years laying on top of
the ground. It got replaced with buried 1/2" aluminum hard line just
this summer. BTW, I swept the spliced cable on an HP network analyzer,
from 1-30 MHz, and darned if I could see any degradation in insertion
loss. Don't recall if I looked at S11.

If it's for free, it's for me...

73,

geo - n4ua