[TowerTalk] coax rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coax rating
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:11:04 -0800
Seems to me that there was an article in QST 10 or 15 yrs ago by some
guy who worked for a major cable mfr. about coax cable ratings. I
believe he stated that the h.f. power rating was primarily determined by
temperature rise in the center conductor not voltage breakdown in the
dielectric. Skin effect caused greater loss at higher frequencies.
Teflon dielectric cable had higher power ratings because the teflon can
withstand much higher temperatures than polyethelene. Does anyone else
recall this or is my imagination playing tricks on me?

73, Dan, N5AR