Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] HB towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] HB towers
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:11:43 +0000
I guess it depends upon the level of risk you are willing to accept.

A quick calc yields a probability of 2 in 100 million.  I'm willing to
accept that risk.  It is much lower than taking the kid to school by
car and far below getting cancer by smoking one cigarette.

Pr =(prob of it falling) * (probability of kid standing on neighbors
property when I told them not to) * (probability of a piece of
hardware hitting while standing there) * (probability of being
killed).

I assumed:
prob of failure after an engineered split repair = 1 in 50
prob of kid standing there = 2 min/week =.0002
prob of getting hit by hardware while standing there = 1:50  =.02
probability of getting killed from hit = .2

total probability of getting killed = 1.6E-8

Obviously, it isn't zero.  Therefore one should prohibit the tower
from being erected in the first place. Right?

Note:  There is another way of assuring the kid doesn't get killed.
If the kid is well trained and he doesn't go where you tell him not to
the probability is also zero.  I much prefer that approach to
legislating away all towers.

73 de Brian/K3KO