[TowerTalk] Loose tension gauge query.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loose tension gauge query.
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:54:41 +0000
Guys,

I recently replaced the EHS guys on one tower with phylistrand.  The
bottom 6-8' are still 3/16 EHS.  I used the Loos tension gauge on
these EHS sections to tension the guys.  My perception is that the
guys are considerably tighter than before.  One reason for this
conclusion is that the force required on the turnbuckles to tension
the grips was considerably greater than before. (I ruled out corrosion
etc as the cause as much as possible)

I look at small sections of EHS and I see a big grip on both ends and
a relatively short section of 3/16 EHS.  My question is:

Is the LOOS gauged "faked out" by this configuration and reading too
low?

de Brian/K3KO