[TowerTalk] Re:rope in elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:rope in elements
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:04:46 +0000
In the past the Aerospace industry and the Nuclear Navy believed they
could design to zero defects.  It wasn't until much money was spent
that the powers that be realized that a goal of zero defects was
impossible.  One could only design and produce a product that would
fail with low probability.

How low the probability depended mostly on how much you cared to spend
to achieve it.

The original philosophy was that one determined hard and fast failure
limit. If one designed below that point, no failures would result.

Unfortunately, this completely goes against mother nature who permits
successes and failures which are distributed across a spectrum of
"design limits"

We had a particularly vexing problem with a number of units which
should not have failed under the old philosophy but did.  It wasn't
until enough data was accumulated that one could determine that they
were indeed part of a normally distributed failure profile.

Today people seem to believe (and expect) that absolute safety and
zero percent failure rates are achievable. Also products which have
vanishingly small failure rates such should be cheap.  Mother nature
disagrees.

73 de Brian/K3KO