[TowerTalk] COAX connector heating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] COAX connector heating
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:19:52 -0500
> I NEVER load my amp higher than 900 watts output.

That could be a mistake.

> On occasion, especially those long fruitless cq's in the wee hours of
> whenever, I'll feel the coax connector from the amp to the switch is
> warm. Not hot, but definitely warm to the touch. The coax connector
> from the common to the antenna coax may be warm but nowhere like the
> amp to switch connector. The switch is grounded via braid the ground
> rod just outside the basement wall. A distance of 8 feet max.

Ground has nothing to do with it.

> Is the heating due to a poor coax to pl259 connection?
> Is this normal or is it something to concern myself with.

Probably not. It is almost certainly not a poor coax connection, or
it would have failed by now.

It sounds like the problem is heating inside the switch.

As long as the switch doesn't fail from the heat, why worry?
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com