[TowerTalk] Guy wire anchoring question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire anchoring question
From: rthorne@tcac.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 18:55:10 -0500
Tom:

I used I-Beams when I lived in Wake Forest, NC.  It helped keep the
wires above the ground so the kids would not run into them.  It held up
a 90' 25g tower quite well.  I had 4 or 5 feet in the ground and about
the same sticking above the ground.

Tom Mattus wrote:

> Hello again gents!
> I've been doing my research with the "prime directive"
> in mind, but, would like to know the collective's
> opinion's/pro's/con's/concerns about guys tied to an
> extended pipe or I beam which raises them above ground
> level. Is it, or could it be, as efficient and SAFE as
> what's suggested in the Rohn book? One thing I have
> noticed is that there are no cables or anchor bars in
> contact with the earth to deteriorate, (which I
> believe is a plus), such as shown in 'the book', which
> has also been discussed here before. What are the
> facts about this method?
> Thanks again! Tom

Richard Thorne
Amarillo, TX
Amateur Radio Station - N5ZC (Ex. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Remote Control Planes - AMA # 657062
Web Page: http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/index.html