[TowerTalk] Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:43:57 +0000
Hi Mario,

Most of these reasons for N connectors not being on ham gear don't
seem relevant anymore.  Unfortunately, it appears that most hams(?)
buy premade cables with connectors on them....

However, I wonder which is worse a poorly made N connector or a poorly
made UHF connector?  There are more ways to mess up making an N
connector...

You haven't acknowledged the problems of the center pin of the N
connector migrating back into the connector via hot/cold and
mechanical cycling of the center dielectric.  Lots of reports of N
connectors failing this way.  I would guess fractionally as many N
connectors fail this way as UHF connector failing via the center pin
problems you describe.

I guess I am still not sold on the size of the type N connector center
pin being large enough.  I guess I still believe in large surface area
being important because of the skin effect.  There simply isn't much
contact area. Just because you can run 6KW for 20 minutes in a lab
condition with a freshly made connector does not imply that one wants
to do so in adverse field conditions.

You also haven't discussed cost.  I figured out that in the past 40
years I have made up over 1000 UHF connectors.  My guess is that the
same thing with N connectors would have cost me another $2K or more.
I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.  I really don't think the extra
money would have bought me anything in performance, reliablity or
anything measurable. (HF only here)
By the way the total number of connector failures I've experienced is
probably under 10.  I consider this to be quite acceptable.  Half were
due to UHF connectors manufactured with out of spec center pin sizes.

73 de Brian/K3KO