[TowerTalk] KLM Balun Phasing Marks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM Balun Phasing Marks
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:53:16 -0700
Bill: I would connect the inputs in parallel and apply an input signal
from a MFJ 259 or sig generator. You could put the two outputs on 2
channels of a dual channel scope and observe if the 2 traces are in
phase or out of phase. I think you could even connect the 2 outputs in
series and create a very simple r.f. voltmeter with your VOM, a 1N34
diode, and a shunt capacitor. The connection with the highest voltage
would mean the outputs are in phase. I haven't thought real hard about
it but think it would work.
73, Dan, N5AR

Bill Tippett wrote:

>         I have 3 new KLM 4:1 baluns purchased with KLM-610 Monobanders
> last fall.  While doing some preventative maintenance, I noticed one of the
> connection studs broke clean at the outside of the nut against the PVC case
> (so there is no way to make another connection).  I also have an old KLM
> Balun circa 1980's which I can use as a substitute if I can determine the
> proper phasing connection.  Note...both baluns are the same construction with
> a PVC tube and end caps...not the old old (skinny) baluns from the 1970's.
>
>         Looking at the newer baluns with the label on top as you look from the
> connector end, the phasing mark is on the right stud.  However, on the older
> balun looking the same way (label on top viewed from the connector), the
> phasing mark is on the left stud.  Does anyone know if KLM was consistent with
> their phasing marks over the years?  Has anyone mixed new and old baluns?  I
> am tempted to assume the phasing mark is correct but it bothers me that it is
> in a different position relative to the label.  M2 says there is no simple way
> to tell the correct orientation without taking the baluns apart and visually
> inspecting both.
>
>         Which brings me to my next question!  Has anyone disassembled one of
> these baluns?  It appears you can do so by undoing the locknut on the coax
> connector and knocking the end cap off.  This may be the easiest way to
> check for proper phase of the two baluns but I would like to hear from anyone
> who may have done this before I start tearing both apart.
>
>         Better yet, does anyone have a better idea?  I suppose I could remount
> the antennas and check for gain when the two lower ones are selected but am
> open to any ideas.
>
>                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV
>
> --

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,