[TowerTalk] Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:49:57 -0400
Hmmm,

I have had my coax buried in my yard for over 20yrs.  Pulled it  up because
we're moving...some was RG8, RG213, RG214, RG58....all was in good shape, even
where some of the squirrels had chewed off the outside covering the oxidation
was limited to a few inches.

Never noticed any decrease in performance although I'm sure the experts will say
there was a decrease due to the age, moisture, etc.  However, I think the real
decrease in performance over the 20yr period has been in my ears and
brain...perhaps more so than in the coax.  On this too I fee sure the experts
will agree.

I'm building a new place in the country.  I don't intend to spend too much
energy or money on conduits, pumping/ filling in the pipes or pressuring the
conduits and using an air dryer process (likek they do in TV commercial
feedline).  Nope, I'll just bury it and not worry about it. Might even just lay
it on the ground and let gravity suck it in over the years.

In another 20yrs I won't give a damn if I have a few db of loss or a little
SWR...I'll be happy to just be breathing and waking up in the morning...

SO, I guess if you have more money and time on your hands than you can imagine
what to do with you might attempt to duplicate a utility company type commercial
installation for your coax. It will surely be something to chat about over the
radio even if the guy on the other end keeps asking you to repeat yourself
because his hearing is going ;-)

HAVE FUN,
dave
wa3gin