[TowerTalk] Using extra anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using extra anchors
From: jstai@home.com (Jeff Stai WK6I)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 16:40:04 -0700

Eric Schurman wrote:

> >A week-and-a-half access???  I know you have not revealed the purpose of
> >the
> >tower to us, but wow, that's a short period of time to line up all the help
> >needed for this project.  Do you mean it will be installed and dismantled
> >in
> >a week and a half?
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to be secretive. This is a tower that will have lights
> at the top that will be used as a beacon at several different art festivals
> each year. One of the festivals is held in the blackrock desert where they
> have the Leave No Trace policy described earlier.

ah - here's the deal - the Black Rock Desert is about the most remote place
there is. It would be a three hour trip for anything like a crane from the
nearest
'civilization' (Reno). So whatever they do will have to be by muscle and what
they
can bring. This is the place where the most recent land speed record was set,
in
excess of Mach 1.0 - they really -can't- leave a trace. Not to mention that the
BLM is in charge there, and they are pretty vigilant... in fact, I am a little
surprised they would allow holes!

I do think the ground is stronger than you think - it is soft on the surface
but
a couple inches down it is rock solid; I have bent a few tent stakes in that
playa.
You may find that getting an anchor in will be a challenge.

Given that the need is for a beacon, and that it can be quite windy out there,
you
may want to consider a pole - less wind area and lighter, therefore easier to
erect.
The falling derrick method will also work here. There is a page I bookmarked
here
that might be of help: http://www.karlquist.com/Irrigation/irrigation.html

hope all this helps - jeff wk6i

--
jeff stai
radio stuff:   WK6I in DM13

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="a">http://www.championradio.com</A>

-----