[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Failure
From: w7ni@easystreet.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:16:48 -0700
There is a very good reason why this subject is so vitally
important to get across to
everyone who messes with gin poles to lift anything heavier
than a bare Rohn 45
section.  I just got off the phone with Paul, K7PN, who told
me about a guy he knows in 3
land (I don't remember who, and I wouldn't say who if I did
know because he should come
forth himself, if he wants to . . .)  anyway, this guy was
using a stock Rohn Gin Pole
to lift a very heavy and long mast when the gin pole
folded.  He was hit in head by
swinging steel and he now has a concussion.  I don't know if
he was using a block and
tackle to reduce the load on the gin pole or not (I doubt
it, since so few people have
the equipment to do it) but if he HAD been, he MIGHT still
have a whole gin pole AND a
whole head.  THAT is why this is an IMPORTANT discussion.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----