[TowerTalk] Wires in trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 12:08:55 +0000
Tom's "lead in arrow" approach seems to solve one real problem I've
encountered using slingshots.  The weights are not heavy enough to
pull the line down to the ground through tree branches et al.  It is
particularly a problem with pine trees.

I've used both a sling shot and fishing pole to get wires up in the
trees. I first try the fishing pole (if there is room to swing it)
because it can cast heavier weights and they do make it back down to
the earth.  There is nothing more frustrating that getting the line
just where you want it and then not make it back to earth.

Another problem is retrieving an errant shot.  Reeling in the line
often has the weight getting tangled in the tree branches.  It has a
tendancy to wrap around branches.  Minimizing this means selecting the
correct weight geometry.  Round is best.  Pyramidal sinkers are
worst.  Tear drop weights are in the middle.  I have quite a few
pieces of monfiliament line hanging from various tree limbs about the
property.  Use line that is light enough to break if a hangup occurs.
Expect to replace frayed/stretched lines.

Even if you do get a good shot there is the risk that you can't pull
up a heavier line without it snagging.  The trick is to not attach the
heavier line to the weight.  Remove the weight.  Alternatively, attach
it to the reel end and cut off the line there.  You will have to pull
a small knot over the intervening branches.  You won't have to pull
the weight and knot which increases changes of a snag.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Tom Rauch wrote:

> I use a bow and arrow, but I fill the last several inches of hollow
> aluminum arrows with solder inside the arrow by pouring molten
> solder inside the arrow.
>
> I use a dam made from a paper wad to prevent solder from going
> more than six or eight inches deep.
>
> I've found the arrows tend to bend less often, get through the trees
> better, and fly straighter if the outside is left intact and only the
> core filled.
>
> When I have a large stand of trees, I use fishing line and fly a kite
> over the trees. Then I let the kite fall. Even if the line is very long,
> the kite eventually will fall when the wind dies off or shifts.
>
> I'm able to get lines over trees areas that are several hundred feet
> wide with kites.
> 73, Tom W8JI
> W8JI@contesting.com
>
> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us