[TowerTalk] Pointy Top / Mast Binding - Tips?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pointy Top / Mast Binding - Tips?
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:27:53 +0000
Ice storms in Pittsburgh filled up the space with mother natures
creation. Unfortunately, it takes a long time in winter to melt any
ice.  Solution there was a replacement car U-joint boot extending down
over the mast.  They come split and have to be glued together.

Water is amazing stuff.  If it shrunk when near freezing like most
anything else, all lakes in winter spots would fill up with ice from
the bottom and almost never melt.  Fortunately, ice expands slightly
around freezing and thus floats.

73 de Brian/K3KO
Pete Smith wrote:

> All this puzzles me a little bit.  I have a 25AG3 pointy top with a 2" Rohn
> galvanized mast - the top section was new 5 years ago when I put the tower
> up.  The mast was a loose fit in the top section, and at 1 RPM lubrication
> seemed unnecessary.  That has proved to be the case so far, despite the
> usual assortment of wind and weather.
>
> I'm wondering if maybe there isn't some galvanizing slag inside Bill's top
> section, accounting for the tight fit.  Once it's removed, lubrication may
> be an exercise in overkill.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> No, no ... that's WEST Virginia
>
> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us