[TowerTalk] Prop-pitch control wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop-pitch control wire
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:22:19 -0700

Hi Ron: I am facing a similar problem here with an Orion rotator on a
131 ft crankup tower 250 ft from the shack. The instructions with the
Orion say use Nr 18 up to 125 ft, nr. 16 for 125-200 ft, nr. 14 for
200-300, and nr 12 for 300-450 ft. You, of course need only 2 large
conductors for the motor power and 2 small ones for the reed switch
pulses. Texas Towers, Davis RF, Cablexperts, and The Wireman all have
suitable cable with 2 large and 6 small conductors. I plan to use the
2/Nr 14, 6 Nr 18 up the tower (150 ft.). For a prop pitch I believe you
could use the 2 nr 12, 6nr 16 stuff. I will use several type UF
buryable house wires for the run to the house from the tower base. Home
depot has 3 wire Nr 12 for about $29/250ft. I will have 2 of these 3
wire cables plus several UF nr 14  3 cond which is about $22/250ft in
PVC pipe buried with drain holes at the low point and a gravel bed
beneath. The extra wires will allow for a possible ring rotor and vac
relays for switching 80m ssb to cw bands.
  We have a problem here with gophers chewing buried cable. I have
personally dug up a chewed up UF cable with enough leakage to trip the
GFI and a RG59 which was chewed up so bad that the shield was open
circuited (I swear that is the truth).

73, Dan, N5AR

Ron Cox wrote:

Ron Cox wrote:

> Hi TTers,
>               I am looking for some suggestions on what kind of control
> wire to run. 100 ft to tower and then 72 up. I am using M2 control unit.
> I cant find any heavy duty stuff around here.
>
>              The kt36xa kit arrived today. That should take a week or
> two.
>
> Tnx for the help.73 Ron
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com