[TowerTalk] Cow-Proof Beverage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cow-Proof Beverage
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:03:55 -0400
> I would like to try a Beverage this year, but the problem is that it
> would have to run through a field full of cows, who take great delight
> in scratching and rubbing on anything they find.
>
> I would like to ask fellow Amateurs what is the best cow-proof support
> for a Beverage antenna ?

I'm in that situation. Last year there were 200+cows working on my
antennas including 2000 pound bulls.

First, I have to bury and cover most of the feedlines because young
cows eat or chew anything. That by far is the biggest problem. I
cover things with plastic rain gutters for houses.

I anchor my wires at the ends, and let them float over the supports.

I had 1/2 inch steel conduit with PVC tips as wire props because
you can just bend them back. I set them in 3/4 inch conduit bases
so it can just lift out. I used landscaping timber for the ends, or
trees when possible.

I am changing to pressure treated frame lumber, what we call
2x4's, that are 12 feet long. I nail them in a "T" shape so the edge
of one board is against the middle of the other to form a rail that
looks like a T from the end-view. I set them 3 feet deep with a post
hole auger on my tractor.

So far nothing has knocked any down. No warping, no bending.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----