[TowerTalk] Are higher HF antenna's really better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are higher HF antenna's really better?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:16:18 -0000
I have 3 TH7s on one tower - 25, 40 and 76 ft. There are plenty of times
the TH7 at 25 ft is better into Europe than either of the 2 higher
antennas or the upper 2 phased, on 10m. The lowest antenna has
never been better on 15 or 20, but the antenna at 40 ft has been better
into EU than the one at 76 ft alone, as well as better than the upper 2
phased (though not very often on 20m).
30 years ago, high, long boom antennas were thought to be best. This
has since been shown to be incorrect by both experience and computer
models. As someone else pointed out earlier, that's why the big guns
have multiple antennas at multiple heights for any given band.
Barry W2UP

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>