[TowerTalk] Shunt feed Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shunt feed Tower
From: n8de@thepoint.net (Don Havlicek)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:12:41 -0500
My reply inserted below:

Randy wrote:

> I'm planning to put up my tower this spring so I'm working on some of
> the details. I hope to shunt feed the tower for 80 and 160M.

Sounds like a good way for you to work those bands using your tower.

> 1) I have a small city lot so my question is for the radials, I don't
> have room for any, concrete walks and bordered lawn and such are already
> in place.

You DO have room for radials, though they might now be 'radially placed'
.. just put them down wherever you can.  Living on a city lot that was
50x120 feet with lots of driveway and sidewalk, I buried radials along
side the driveway/sidewalks/patio/foundation/greenhouse/playhouse.  It's
amazing how much wire you can bury when you want radials for your tower!

> I do have a 4' chain link fence around 80% of the property
> line can I use that some how?

Sure .. but it will be noisy, as every high-impedance joint will be a
problem.

> 2) do I need to insulate the bottom of the tower?

If you're shunt-feeding .. NO!

> 3) The patio wall were the tower will go has a metal roof 15'X 20'will
> that be a problem?

Yes, there will be an interaction, but you don't specify how 'high' the
metal roof is.  The most probable interactions will be pattern
distortion and impedance matching problems with the shunt feed.

> Randy
> AC7NJ

When you need to try something ... DO IT ... then see if you can improve
upon it!

Don
N8DE

Order online at http://store.eham.net.