[TowerTalk] Short Tower Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Short Tower Antenna
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:19:29 -0800
I agree totally with Pete. The Hexbeam is a compromise 2 el yagi with
bent wire elements. It could not possibly compete with a conventional
yagi with full size straight elements. The KT 34 class beams are proven
performers but take more maintenance that non trapped yagis such as F12
and Bencher build.
  You did not mention if the roof is metal or not. Even if it is metal,
don't despair. Yesterday I worked the P5 on 15m in a big pileup using a
F12 4BA at 50 feet over a metal roof building. The tower is house
bracketed to the end of the building. The roof is 30X50, 15 ft at the
peak.
  I use an extension ladder to work on beams on my 2 crankup towers in
the nested position. Without guy wires to worry about, it is duck soup
to install yagis on nested crankups.
73, Dan, N5AR