[TowerTalk] Dielectric losses

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dielectric losses
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:46:00 -0800
An article in QST about 10-15 years ago discussed loss in coax. It was
written by an engineer for one of the major cable companies (possibly
Amphenol?). It said that,in the HF range, the dominant  loss in coax
cable is I squared R in the center conductor. Skin effect worsens the
loss as frequency increases.
  For the same OD, a 50 ohm cable with foam dielectric requires a larger
center conductor resulting in lower loss. There are possible problems
with foam dielectric including moisture penetration and movement of the
center conductor off center in bends. Tom is "right on".
73, Dan, N5AR