[TowerTalk] Modeling

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modeling
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:45:16 -0500
> When my antennas blew down in our last storm,  I just stuck the
> 10 meter antenna on top of the 20 meter to see what would
> happen.  How about that, it worked.  No modeling, no guess work,
> no scratching my head.  Just stuck the antenna there and it
> worked.  If I would have modeled it, probably would have told me
> it won't work.  Think I'll just leave it there.

I installed a 318-foot tower because the model told me a simple
dipole up there would blow away my 3/8th wl vertical on 160.

Darn if the vertical doesn't win nearly all the time at any distance!

Am I glad I did it? You bet. Without actually doing it I never would
have known. Would I put the tower back up if it fell over? Not a
chance!

Would I think that dipole really played really really well without
direct A-B comparisons to what a vertical would do here at my
location? Almost certainly I would!

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

Order online at http://store.eham.net.