[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Stephen Vinson)
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:09:05 -0500
Not having read all the post, and I'm not looking to stir up a cans of
worms.  But aircraft aluminum is a special alloy that is already hardened and
stressed.  Aircraft also must under go annual inspections to look for stress
cracks and failures.  Proper inspection of aluminum as well as steel towers
is a constant necessity.

Steve
KD4WIW

Steve Maki wrote:

> AA4LR wrote:
>
> >>There is a big difference between "don't exceed the manufacturers
> >>ratings" and "buy one heavier than you need". The problem with
> >>aluminum is that it work hardens. If you load it near it's initial
> >>max ratings, wind gusts over the years WILL cause it to fatigue and
> >>de-rate, and eventually fail.
>
> >Gosh, you're right, that's why aluminum airplanes are life-rated to only
> >so many flights or years. Right?
> >
> >I'm sure many aircraft owners are still waiting for their 50+ year old
> >airplanes to "work harden."
> >
> >Without proper maintainence, any structure will fail, even steel ones.
> >
> >Aluminum towers, properly loaded and properly maintained, should last
> >just as long as aluminum aircraft.
>
> Did I say that aluminum doesn't have good uses?
>
> Airplanes are obviously well engineered. The history of aluminum
> towers - judging by how many of them that have ended up laying
> on the ground - is not so good. Things that fly need a high strength
> to weight ratio, which aluminum provides. Cost is a secondary
> concern.
>
> Most prospective tower owners, especially in the commercial
> market, consider strength & longevity vs cost to be more important
> than weight issues. Therefore, virtually all commercial towers
> are steel.
>
> There's nothing wrong with a well engineered aluminum tower, skyscraper,
> suspension bridge, or freighter - except cost.
>
> --
> Steve K8LX

> Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?  The
> same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam Store.
> Order online at http://store.eham.net.
>
> -----

E-mail:  kd4wiw@ipass.net
Home Page:  http://www.ipass.net/~kd4wiw/
Packet:  KD4WIW@W4RAL.#RTP.NC.USA.NOAM
        TOWERS ARE BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Stephen "Pusher" Vinson
VROC #2858, VRA # 1-13-28A-800B4, Iron Eagles MC
'99 800 Classic, Gray/Black, Piped, jetted, bagged
'01 1500 FI Nomad, Gray/Silver
Zebulon, North Carolina

http://www.ipass.net/~kd4wiw/vulcan.html
E-mail: kd4wiw@ipass.net