Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:55:02 -0000
A vertical is not a great antenna on 40m, unless of course you have the base
in salt water.   I just did a quick model of my lower shortened 2el 40m beam
which is at 75 feet and a vertical that I had already had a model of (which
was not elevated).  The low yagi is 11dB stronger in the direction that it
is pointed at most useful lower radiation angles.  The yagi is even 4 dB
stronger off the back.  I did not compare the side lobes, but a 2 el beam is
not that directive so I doubt that the single vertical would ever be better
except for very high angle radiation which I have never seen on 40m.  I do
not think that  you can contribute your poor vertical performance to tree
absorption.

73,
John KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:53:20 +0000 (GMT)

My FYI tale of vertically polarized antennas and trees.

I have always lived in very heavily wooded areas and have always used
horizontally
polarized antennas on the top of crankup towers.  They clear the tops of
"most"
of
the trees, but not all.  They work REALLY WELL (I have an outstanding QTH)
for
DXing.

Wanting to "save rotor time," while contesting (with my 402CD), I put up a
GP
(elevated
vertical).  It hangs from a tree.  It is "full size" and has full sized
elevated radials.  My hope
was that it would be louder than my 2L 40 when the 40 was pointed at EU (50
degrees
from NNJ) when I heard a new mult from the south (zone 8, 9, etc).  The
"base"
of the GP
is about 20 feet above ground (and so are the radials, but they slope down
somewhat).  It
was to be my "multiplier" antenna.

That was not the case.  The elevated vertical (GP) is always "weak" compared
the 2L
40, even when the yagi is pointed at EUR and I'm comparing to the South.
The 40m yagi is at about 80 feet.

Now, I would expect the yagi to be louder to EUR as compared to the GP, but
not
so
to CA/SA, which, at best, is off the back corner of the beam when beaming
EUR.

The GP vertical element is supported by the trunk of the tree, so it is
"right
next to" the
tree trunk.

<snip>