[Towertalk] Re-coating towers: what paint?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re-coating towers: what paint?
From: MPeiperl@london.edu (Maury Peiperl)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:35:33 +0100
Hello Towertalkians

As a sideline to the blend-in painting question, I have perhaps a more
basic query:  What paint to use in re-coating towers (Rohn 45 in this
case)?  I have been told to use Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray
(industrial part #2185, consumer part #7785).  This has potentially two
disadvantages:  1) cost ($6+ per can -- $10+ for the "bright" version
#2117; 1+ can/section) and more importantly 2) vapor inhalation risk -
this stuff is dangerous to breathe.

I have therefore been looking for a brushable, canned variety.  The only
thing I have found so far is Valspar Marine Primer #3084, Vinyl Zinc
Chromate.  Has anyone used this?  Has anyone any other recommendations?

Thanks and 73
Maury W3EF / G0UHK