[Towertalk] 4-square vs 40-2CD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 4-square vs 40-2CD
From: sm2ekm@telia.com (Jan Erik Holm)
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 18:32:57 +0200
This is correct but the dipole has to be at least half a lambda
up in the air.
Forexample, 4SQ gives approx 5.5 dBi  and with losses in
near field lets say 4.5 dBi, a dipole at 1/2 wl gives approx
7 dBi, thats 2.5 dB advantage for the dipole.
Another example, I have compared my old 40 m 4SQ to
a 3 el Yagi at 90 ft and it doesn´t matter winter summer
rain or shine the Yagi is always 10 - 15 dB better.
It´s pritty easy to beat a 4SQ on 40 but on 80 and 160
it get´s more difficult, on 80 that 1/2 wl is 135 ft you know.

73 Jim SM2EKM