[Towertalk] Ground wire impedance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground wire impedance
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:02:45 -0400
> are you saying that the small coil of 1/2" copper tubing hanging in my
> garage would be a better grounding conductor that my heavy gauge solid
> wire.? (I can never remember if the soft copper tube used for water is
> K or M. I think M). I think it's 1/2"OD.

Solid wire has lower resistance than hollow "wire", for the same
outer diameter at frequencies where the wall thickness is less than
several skin depths. At radio frequencies, it generally makes no
difference if the conductor is hollow or solid but near dc or at low
AC frequencies it sure does.

Wide flat thin flashing has less inductance per foot for a given
surface area than a round conductor, but it also has more resistance
per foot at higher frequencies because current bunches up at the
outer edges.

So I guess it all depends on what you want to do.....and what you
have around to use.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com