[Towertalk] Guy wire tension

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy wire tension
From: K4MK@triad.rr.com (Kent Miller)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:27:40 -0400
Gentlemen:

I have one 100 ft. tower that was professionally installed and one 130
ft. tower ( both 25G ) that I and other hams installed. In all the
years that I have had towers I have always checked the guys " by hand "
to confirm the tension appeared to be even and relatively tight. Last
week I bought a Loos tension gauge and started checking; so far, the
maximum tension I have found is about 5 % of the rated guy wire
strength. It is my understanding that the recommended tension should be
about 10 %.  Based on that, it appears that all of my guys are too
loose.
Obviously, " eyeballing " and checking tension by hand did not, at least
in my case, come close to achieving recommended values, whether done by
a " professional " or a " ham-ster ".

I wonder if others of you have encountered the same situation ?

Looks like I 'll be tightening turnbuckles for a few days.

73,
Kent - K4MK