[Towertalk] Cushcraft R8 Vertical Loading Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cushcraft R8 Vertical Loading Problem
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:32:36 -0600
It may be a breakdown of insulation somewhere in the system, associated
with the higher voltage at higher power.  Does it happen on one or more
bands but not all?  Only at certain frequencies?  Breakdown could be a
result of a problem anywhere the transmitter to the antenna, inclusive.
 Have you another transmitter to try?  I assume SWR is low on all
frequencies until the problem appears; confirm?  Is it easy to tilt or
climb the tower to check all connections and substitute another
feedline?  Ask Cushcraft if there are any reactive components in the R8
that generate high voltage or that are otherwise subject to breakdown.

Good luck!  Here is an opportunity to study and learn from ham radio!

73 de WOØW