[TowerTalk] Length of Mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Length of Mast
From: km9m-zig@attbi.com (S. Markowski Jr.)
Date: Sun Jun 1 00:29:22 2003

Michael Tope wrote:
snip:
> Actually it brings up a good question for the lightning technology experts
> on Towertalk. How come you only see lightning rods on barns and not
> houses? Is that just because most barns are old, and people have stopped
> using lightning rods, or is the their some other reason?

I'm not a lightning expert, just a fireman that answered a lot of house
fire/lightning hit calls. Where I live, many of the outlying areas(used
to be farm and barns, now filled with 500k and up houses on 1+ acre
lots), houses grounded with ground rods and grounding systems have
become very common.(especially after a number of homes took direct
hits.)  It's not required in the code, but many homeowners have done
this, and the incidence of direct hits has dropped dramatically.  FYI

73,
Zig KM9M