[TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Thu Aug 7 00:16:35 2003
Fiber to the home is indeed a bit more difficult but fiber to the curb is
doable.  The concepts for this have been around for years - I know - it was
discussed when I still worked in the
R&D Photonics labs at Corning Inc.  The whole problem with the telecom bubble
bursting was too many who should have known better believing in false/doctored
forcasts as their eyes glazed
over with visions of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Some people got
filthy rich; most just got dirt kicked in their faces.  The bottom line here is
that many brilliant people
working on fiber technology are out of work and R&D has been severely impacted.
 The *only* advantage (?) to using existing power lines is that they exist -
despite the sad history of
maintainence.  BTW, during a severe storm, which is the public utility
typically to fail?  It doesn't take a genius to answer this one!

Tom - WA2BPE