Re: [TowerTalk] Re: 40m beam with wires dangling down

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: 40m beam with wires dangling down
From: david jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:48:10 -0500
Yes, I agree. Just depends on ones preferences. I don't have a problem with lumped inductance, relays and such. Someone asked so I offered an alternative that I know works. I'd be happy with either because I'm not a contester at the moment. So, a fixed bandwidth with the more conventional turn it to talk to them would be fine for me. For contesting I'm sure one would appreciate having all the features you describe!

73,
dave
wa3gin

Jim Lux wrote:

At 02:54 PM 11/5/2003 -0500, david jordan wrote:

Yes, you would modify the stepper such that when the copper element inside the fiberglass tube reached full extention the copper tape would make a connection with the dangling wire.

I don't have a stepper so I don't have a mechanical solution for the contact arrangement that I can describe for you. I'll bet there are skilled folks on this reflector who could come up with something that works well and last a long time.

Uhhh.. but then you wouldn't be able to adjust the element length in the loaded condition. You'd not be able to do all the cool stuff like tuning for environmental effects, swapping 180, etc.

What about vacuum relays and ow loss coils at the feedpoints of the elements? Seems like that would be a fairly simple solution, and you've already got some cabling going to the element for the motor control.