Re: [TowerTalk] Strengthening Insulated Push-up Pole Base

To: kd4e@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strengthening Insulated Push-up Pole Base
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:06:16 -0500
I have had good luck using a piece of PVC whose ID is equal to the OD of the mast and then running several bolts through the pair... then put u-bolts around the outside of the pvc to secure it.

On one antenna I have a pipe set in the ground which I u-bolt a plate onto at the base... onto this plate a hinge is bolted... the far side of the hinge is bolted to another plate which u-bolts pass through and around that outer piece of PVC...

A plate without the hinge and u-bolt attachments for both the pvc (antenna) and the supporting pipe is attached to the pvc up about four feet from the hinge base...

The hinge allows the antenna to be built/service horizontally and then walked up to vertical and the second plates u-bolts hold it vertically...

Be careful to have the bolts passing through the pvc and the antenna not short against the sunken support pipe.

Works real good - in a pinch one man can do the tilt over operation but of course it is safer with two to avoid it getting from you.

HNY

Jim, K4OJ

Colburn wrote:

I am thinking of putting up one or two 60' push-up poles isolated
from ground as part of an experimental 40/60/80/160M antenna system. The bottom section of the push-up pole is 3".

If I set a 3" ID section of thick-wall PVC inside an 8" section
and set them in concrete would y'all recommend concrete, sand,
or ??? in between the sections of PVC?

I am wondering how the PVC may react to different substances,
what would provide the best strength, if I want flexiblity
between the sections, and what might enhance the insulation
value of the PVC.

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e