Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower?- No pe

To: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower?- No permit Required
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:22:34 -0500
I'm so pleased that I found this 6 acre place, 4 miles from the nearest town .. and it's zoned agricultural .. no permits needed for ANYTHING.
Don
N8DE

Alan C. Zack wrote:
In putting up my tower I have learned the City Planner Dept. is a
separate bureau from the City Building Dept. My understanding is that
the Planner will tell you if, and what type, of tower you are allowed
in your area. In my case, I do not need a Planner Dept. permit if I
stay under 45 ft. If I go over 45 ft I need a conditional Planning
Permit to erect the tower. But then the separate Building Dept. gets
involved and has to approve the base foundation drawing which requires
the State PE stamp and wind calcs.
I decided to go with a US Towers 40 ft tower to avoid the Planning
Dept's requirement for a conditional permit for a tower over 45 ft. To receive the conditional permit notices will be mailed out to all my
neighbors within a certain area. If one neighbor doesn't like it it
goes to a public hearing and other delays. I selected the 40 ft so I
would avoid this. Now, with the approval from the City Planner I went
to the Building Dept. I had the drawing from US Towers that the
inspector said was fine but it had a CA PE stamp (US Towers is located
in CA). I would need to get a NV PE stamp. The inspector then
mentioned I needed wind calcs for 90 MPH. In discussing this with
others, the general opinion is 90 MPH is an overkill and
unreasonable. The county and the largest city in the county, Las
Vegas, only requires 75 MPH wind calcs. I wrote a nice, polite letter
to the building department requesting they accept the county
requirement of 75 MPH. I also mentioned the antenna would be used for
RACES and MARS operations so they would see it has some pubic interest
use. It has been three weeks since I wrote the letter with no
response as yet. I expect somewhat of a delay due to the holiday
period so will just wait a while longer.
Anyway, to make a long story short, remember you are dealing with
first the Planning Dept. who will tell you IF the tower is allowed,
then the Building Dept., who will control the actual construction of
the tower.

Noel wrote:

So I called my local city planners office to begin the process of
getting a permit to install a tower on my one acre lot. We live in a
kind of agricultrual area, but more horse-country than agricultrial.  At
first I'm told I'd need to get a "conditional use permit" to install my
tower.  But later when trying to get more details of what I'd need for
the permit, I speak directly with the city planner who tells me I don't
need a permit at all because the city ordinance requiring a "conditional
use permit" is only for towers over 75'.  And since my tower is only
60', he does not think I need a permit at all. He goes on to read from
the ordinance, and explains that it specifically exempts singe pole
radio structures and the like under 75'.  I'm a little concerned about
the words "single pole" because my tower is not a single pole.  But a
triangular tower with four guys wires.  I explain that to the city
planner and he still says I don't need a permit, if I keep the
installation under 75'.

So my concern is, if I install my tower without a permit, and keep it
under 75'.  What protection, if any, do I have if later someone
complains about my antenna and tower? Not that I expect it from my
neighbors but you never know.

According to the city planner, I can still get a "building permit" to
ensure the installation meets proper installation requirements, but that
it is not necessary.  I'm kind of relieved I don't have to get permit
but wonder if I should anyway, or just go ahead with my installation and
see what happens.

Thanks for any suggestions
Noel