Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:54:59 EDT
In a message dated 8/24/2006 5:36:07 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
daweezil2003@yahoo.com writes:

I'm  pretty sure you can get stainless steel bolts at least to grade 5 that
you  could use. Just be sure to use some sort of thread compound like Locktite
or  equal to prevent seizing

I don't know if Universal or Heights recommend stainless or not, but over
the years I've had a few aluminum towers as tall as 96 feet.  I've  found:

1.  Putting lithium grease or some sort of anti-oxidant in the joint  sure
helps get them apart later.
2.  Overtightening the bolts is easy to do and can make disassembly  almost
impossible later, since the outside tube distorts inward acting as a vise  when
trying to take them apart.
3.  I've NEVER had a bolt work its way loose.
4.  Aluminum tower tends to egg out on the holes from the flex in  winds.  My
solution was to lightly guy the tower to stop the swing.
5.  Galvanized bolts create a galvanic reaction that really corrodes  the
aluminum at the joint area.  I switched to stainless and that did the  trick.
6  Getting the steel pipe off a bottom section in one piece is a total
exercise in futility.

Bill K4XS