[TowerTalk] Stealth Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stealth Antennas
From: n6nz@n6nz.net (Dave N6NZ)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:13:04 -0800
hmmmm... tile roof? In the South West?  Perhaps also stucco walls?  thinks
this transplanted midwesterner as he imagines a Spanish (sorta) style home.
If so, be aware that stucco is put on over a wire grid... that in my
experience is a shockingly effective Faraday cage up through 1.2GHz.  In
any case, tile roofs often have great heaping loads of metal flashing that
you will want to be aware of.

My personal stealth experience is a CC&R'ed townhome with stucco walls and
tile roof.  Any useful radiator needs to be as far away from either as
possible.  My solution was to walk around the complex looking for all the
parts of my roof that were hard for board members to see. Then I ran a wire
along and around those places, and brought one end down to an auto-magic
tuner that hung under the eaves in the back.  Performance sucked, but it
sucked less than sitting around imagining what it would be like to be on
the air.

GL es 73,
Dave N6NZ