[TowerTalk] Loading crankup towers?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loading crankup towers?
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:10:07 -0700
I read where a ham, for portable antenna, use a rolled up tape
measurer.  mm mmm  crank slip.  Why not have a ring at the top with 4 100ft
metal tape measurers attached thereto, a ring at the bottom with all but
one attached, the one would be fed by the centre of the coax, and the
shield to ground, with the ring at the bottom would be grounded along with
the tower, the ring at the top would be attached to the tower.  You might
want to run 2 of the tapes as the feed to give a wider conductor hence a
wider band width.  Crank the tower up to resonance then go.  I donot know
if this would work but from what I have read I think that it is worth a try.

Chris opr VE7HCB

At 12:10 PM 2001-10-25 +0000, RCARIELLO wrote:

>Hello,
>With all this talk about vertical antennas let me ask this question.
>I have been told that a crankup tower will not load well as a vertical do to
>the sections not being fastened together.
>
>My thought would be to hang wires along the side of the tower similar to a
>cage dipole with the tower inside. These wires would be spaced and insolated
>from the tower. At the top the wires would be joined together. At the base a
>ring going around the tower where all the hanging wires would be
>attached.This cage of wires would be insolated from ground. Along the tower
>spacers or  rings might be used to prevent the hanging wires from hitting
>and shorting to the tower. To extend the height of the tower a vertical
>element could be attached to the wires but insolated from the tower.
>
>Comments please.
>
>Rich AA2MF
>aa2mf@arrl.net
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----