[Towertalk] Steel vs Phillystran on a Roof Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Steel vs Phillystran on a Roof Tower
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:55:40 +0000
With the exception of VS6DO's fold-over masts, every single roof tower
deployed over the past ~20 years on the south China coast that I am
aware of has been guyed with rope.

The same 4 mm kevlar halyard from a local chandlery is still seeing
service on the VR2BG tower, three QTHs  & ten years on.

Just like right now, in '99 there was no way I could determine wind speeds
from afar, but the tower is still standing after the worst typhoon since the
early '80s.

In its normal application, sails blow out & other bits of the rigging fail
before the halyard packs it in.

I would not hesitate using exactly the same stuff for an installation such
as NA9D's.

73, BW2/VR2BrettGraham