Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:12:29 +0000
W7PUP asked if a 15 degree takeoff is of concern.

Worst directions for me have been as high as 18 degrees.
Had 16 degrees to NA LP from the only QTH where I've been
heard in W1 on 160m.

Had about a 10 degree shot towards an HP I worked once on 6m.

At my present QTH, all of EU is >10 degrees & most of it is
closer to 13 degrees.  In a valley, I have to look up towards
anywhere on SP & only NA LP is <5 degrees.

VS6DO's last real QTH had something like a 30 degree
takeoff towards NA & EU SP, thanks to a mountain ridge about
2 km away.

Yes, it's nice to have a good horizon, but in general there is
not much one can do about it.

73, VR2BrettGraham